Search This Blog

Friday, March 8, 2013

I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar

Happy International Women's Day!!

Oh yeah, I'm celebrating!  I'll admit it; I'm a feminist to the core!  Don't tell me I can't do something just because I'm a woman, or that I have to do anything because I am a woman.  Not gonna go over well! If it's not required or forbidden for men, then the rules are the same for me, and it better apply to my daughter too. 

And let me just be clear. As a feminist, I believe I and every other woman deserves equal opportunities, equal pay and equal rights to men. I don't want to be a man.

I am woman....through and through. Some might see my femininity as a vulnerability, I see it as a strength. As I put on my dress and high heels, finish my make up and color my lips, the woman looking back at me in the mirror, is one that expects to be taken serious by both women and men, and so it is. I don't have to be the best at everything, or have an answer for every question. Frankly I like knowing that every day, I probably will learn something new. Most of the time, that is a pleasant experience. Other times, unfortunately, one learns that manners is still scarce among some. Shake it off and move on. 

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels. ~Faith Whittlesey 

Born in the 70's, I guess I should be grateful we have come such a long way....or have we?  It never occurred to me that my gender would be an issue when applying for jobs, or that choosing to become a mother would somehow lessen my value as an employee. Sadly, that still seems to be the case. I remember a college professor telling us that "if you have a name like Chris or Pat or any other that could be used for both women and men, do not indicate on your resume or cover letter that you are a woman". My initial though was, and still is, "why on earth not?" Is it really still a question whether a woman can be as qualified and good at a job as a man? Well after last years presidential campaign and the so-called "war on women", I would say the time clock seems to have been turned backwards, and we really need to step it up for women's rights!  

If you think that men and women are wired differently, I won't argue with you.  But if you don't see that having a good mix of both women and men in an office makes for a great work environment, then I will.  If you don't see that women might attack an issue from a different angle than a man, but that she at the same time gives valuable insight that might otherwise have gone unnoticed,  I will. If you don't think that being a mother gives you great experience at multitasking, not to mention settling disputes, I will. If you think that women who work their way up the corporate ladder, should have to compromise their values and accept unwanted advances, snide remarks and so on from their male counterparts, just for trying to break in to the  "good ole boys club" of upper management, I will.  Enough, already! We shouldn't have to put on our big girl pants and deal with it.  Instead, things need to change!

When I ask my daughter what she wants to be when she grows up, the fact she is a girl should have no bearing on her choice. Her interests and abilities should. Let it please be so when she gets to that point. Just to  be on the safe side, I continuously advice her to find a career where she can start her own business....'cause you know, women can do that too.

Back to my high heels. My point in all this, is that the time women no longer should have to fight for their rights is long overdue. For decades women have been blamed for their own misfortunes.  The way we dress is the reason men cannot help themselves from harassing or raping women. We are too fragile to manage the tough life of upper management...or was it that we care too much about our family to always put work first?  When we stand up for our rights, we are feminists, ugly at that, and who wants to listen to an ugly woman...?!? Please, go find a man to take care of you instead.  Again, enough already!

I don't need to be taken care of. I am fully capable of taking care of myself. I don't expect anything for free. But I do expect the same opportunities as my male counterpart. I do expect to be paid the same for equal work, and I certainly expect to be able to make all decisions regarding my body myself!! More so, I expect to do all this dressed in my sometimes too short skirts and too high heels....and red lips too.  Isn't it time it is so?


No comments:

Post a Comment